Thursday, August 15, 2013

Generational Partners

Finn & PawPaw Casey in his workshop

This photo above is one of my favorite pictures hanging on our wall-- my Dad and his great-grandson Finn tinkering with "important things" in his workshop. Finn looks to be about four years old here, but he has always been drawn to Dad, even as a baby. Dad's deep voice sometimes scares babies, but never Finn. 


I remember us sitting around the table eating supper, and Finn was around two years old sitting next to PawPaw. When anyone said something during that particular dinner conversation, Finn would turn to PawPaw and repeat the last word or two, like PawPaw probably didn't hear. Our favorite line was when someone mentioned something about the green beans, and Finn looked at Dad and said, "Geen beans, PawPaw, geen beans!"



Finn & PawPaw doing the navigating during our stay on the Riverwalk in San Antonio a couple of years ago

I love knowing that my grandkids love to come over here to visit. They've always been comfortable with Mom and Dad. Dad built some simple wooden toys and put all of his board scraps in a container for the kids to play with. There's rarely a visit that they don't drag them out, along with ropes, bungee ties, and all kinds of interesting stuff of PawPaw's they find in the garage to build stores or forts or cities. 

 Me, Mom, Dad & Finn (3) right before our first Christmas in our new home in Taylor in 2008

I didn't know my grandparents well enough to feel comfortable around them when I was a child, and even up through college. Finn and Audrie and August have nine living grand and great-grandparents, and they have good relationships with all of them. I think that's so important for children to have multi-generational relationships. And I believe one of the positive consequences of tough economic times is several generations living together, which used to be a common thing among families. Our house regularly sees four generations hanging out and playing together. I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment